Case Studies - 1200mm wide domestic staircase with embedded glass panels.
This White Oak Staircase was manufactured and supplied by us to a job in Birmingham in 2019.
It’s unusual in the sense that’s it’s particularly wide for a domestic staircase at 1200mm, this additional space gives it a commanding appearance and makes for a beautiful feature staircase.
It’s worth noting that stairs this wide require an additional support string up the centre to eliminate the chance of the stairs bouncing and as you walk up them.
Other notable features of this staircase are the embedded 10mm glass panels which sit in a groove in both the handrail and bottomrail as well as the white oak feature oak bullnose tread.
The turn is a quarter landing, again using a quarter landing instead of a three kite winder means although the stairs take up more space, they’re more pleasant to walk up and down.
It’s also worth noting that these stairs have MDF treads and Plywood risers, as well as Pine strings, this reduces the cost and if the treads are being carpeted and the strings painted there’s no real need to have these in White Oak.
- Staircase Type; Standard Construction
- Tread Profile; Standard - 20mm overhang rounded profile
- Strings; Pine, Redwood (32x260mm)
- Treads; MDF (22mm)
- Risers; Plywood (9mm)
- Post Style; Square Posts
- Post Material; White Oak (90x90mm)
- Post Cap Style; Flat Cap
- Post Cap Material; White Oak
- Infill Type; Glass, 10mm toughened glass with polished edges
- Glass Style; Embedded
- Handrail Material; White Oak
- Handrail Style; HDR Profile (59x59mm)
- Bottomrail Material; White Oak
- Bottomrail Style; Rectangular (56x28mm)
Require something similar?
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.