Get inspiration and ideas for your new staircase by browsing through some of our previous projects below.
Case Studies - Oak open riser stair with pencil rounded treads
Pencil round tread profile:
The "standard" way treads are manufactured is with a "full round" profile. The treads on this staircase have a "pencil round" profile, so instead of being fully rounded on the ends, they have an 8mm pencil round, creating a more straightforward feature. "Pencil rounded" treads are generally considered to be more modern.
It's possible to have a "pencil rounded" profile with a 20mm overhang past the riser or no overhang.
We also offer treads with an entirely "square-edged" profile.
Double Post & Cap:
A double post and cap are at the top of this staircase. Typically, you would use a single post and then mitre the handrail. However, the customer preferred using a double post and cap.
Part Open Riser:
This staircase features "part open riser - timber" construction, which means the risers are left partially open to allow more light into the room.
UK Building regulations stipulate that a 100mm sphere must not be able to pass through the riser. A partial timber riser or metal bar is used to resolve this.
- Staircase Type; Part open riser - timber
- Tread Profile; Pencil Round
- Tread Overhang; 20mm (standard)
- Stringer Material; Oak (32x230mm)
- Tread Material; Oak (22mm)
- Riser Material; Oak (18mm)
- Post Style; Square (90mm)
- Post Material; Oak
- Post Cap Style; Flat
- Post Cap Material; Oak
- Balustrade Type; Glass Panels
- Glass Style; Clamped
- Clamp Style; D-shape, brushed
Handrail & Bottomrail:
- Handrail Profile; Square (56x56mm)
- Handrail Material; Oak
- Bottomrail Profile; Rectangular (56x28mm)
- Bottomrail Material; Oak
Excellent service from the company, from initial design to communication and delivery. Thanks very much, highly recommended. - Mr Shering
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.