Get inspiration and ideas for your new staircase by browsing through some of our previous projects below.
Case Studies - Two oak open riser stairs with metal bars in feature hallway.
Two Connecting Staircases:
When you have two staircases, one above the other, you need a landing balustrade to connect them; in the case of these stairs, this forms a gallery area on the first floor. The first post on each staircase lines up; however, because the floor-to-floor heights are different, one stair takes up more space than the other. The bigger the floor height, the more space the stairs take up, assuming they’re both kept at 42° to take up the minimum amount of floor space.
Given the property has a feature hallway with a vaulted ceiling and a whole wall of glass, it makes sense to let as much of that light down from the top as possible, as well as be able to see the vaulted ceiling at the bottom. Using a metal bar, you can let the maximum amount of light through possible.
To pass building regulations, a 100mm sphere cannot pass through anywhere. As such, you need something to break up the gap of the riser, either a part timber riser or a metal bar. In this case, a metal brushed metal bar has been used; these are also available in mirror or black. These metal bars are 19mm in diameter.
LED light groove in treads:
The customer wished to fit LED lights into the underside of the tread; this is a service we offer, they specified them to be 20mm wide by 8mm deep, and as such we put this groove in the underside of each tread as part of the manufacturing process.
- Staircase Type; Part Open Riser - Metal Bars
- Tread Profile; Standard - 20mm overhang, rounded profile
- Tread Profile Detail; Treads to have 20x8mm groove for LED lights (special order)
- Stringer Material; Oak (32x230mm)
- Tread Material; Oak (44mm)
- Riser Material; Brushed Metal Bar (19mm)
- Post Style; Square (90mm)
- Post Material; Oak
- Post Style; Flat
- Post Cap Material; Oak
Balustrade Type; Glass Panels
Glass Style; Embedded
Handrail & Bottomrail:
Handrail Profile; Square (56x56mm)
Handrail Material; Oak
Bottomrail Profile; Rectangular (58x28mm)
Bottomrail Material; Oak
Ground to first floor:
First to second floor:
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.