Case Studies - Oak 6 kite winder stair with embedded glass panels
Notable features of this staircase:
This staircase features glass panels on glass clamps, the clamps are screwed onto the handrail and bottomrail, and then the glass is then secured between the clamps with rubber grommets holding it in place.
This is generally considered easier to fit than embedded glass.
Clamps are available in both D shape (as shown) or square, as well as mirror, satin or black finish.
This staircase features an oak bullnose (left & right); the advantage of a bullnose is that it pushes the bottom posts back by one tread and enhances the staircase's appearance. Unlike other feature treads, bullnoses do not protrude past the width of the stairs.
The feature tread is manufactured in oak, while the rest of the treads of risers are in MDF/Ply as they were to be carpeted.
Balustrade up the outside:
Generally, the outside of staircases is surrounded by walls. However, it’s possible to have a balustrade up the outside fully or partially, like on this staircase. To achieve this, you generally drop all of the posts to the floor.
- Staircase Type; Standard Construction
- Tread Profile; Standard - 20mm overhang, rounded profile
- Stringer Material; Oak (32x230mm)
- Tread Material; MDF (22mm)
- Riser Material; Plywood (9mm)
Feature Tread Materials:
- Feature Tread Material; Oak (22mm)
- Feature Riser Material; Oak veneered plywood (10mm)
- Post Style; Square (90mm)
- Post Material; Oak
- Post Style; Flat Cap
- Post Material; Oak
Balustrade Type; Glass Panels
Glass Style; Clamped
Handrail & Bottomrail:
Handrail Profile; HDR (59x59mm)
Handrail Material; Oak
Bottomrail Profile; Rectangular (56x28mm)
Bottomrail Material; Oak
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.