Get inspiration and ideas for your new staircase by browsing through some of our previous projects below.
Case Studies - Narrow six kite winder staircase, exposed back construction.
Square posts, chamfered spindles and elements handrail gives this exposed back staircase a classic clean look.
Although quite a narrow staircase at 673mm on flights one and three, this staircase meets building regulations by having the winder treads 4 and 9 out the posts to create more space around the winder boxes.
Each flight doesn’t need to be the same width on a domestic staircase and as such, it’s possible to have flight 2 narrower than flights 1 and 3 which helped with the design requirements of this staircase.
It features exposed back construction, where the risers can be seen from the underside without the need for glue blocks and wedges, the underside thus doesn’t need to be under drawn.
The top post is also unusual in that it’s a 90x135mm post, this is so that there’s no need to use a mitre to return the balustrade to the wall.
- Strings - White Oak (220x38mm)
- Treads - White Oak (22mm)
- Risers - White Oak (18mm)
- Posts - White Oak, Square (90x90mm)
- Post Tops - White Oak, Flat Caps
- Spindles - White Oak, Stop Chamfered (41x41mm)
- Handrail - White Oak, Elements Profile (65x55mm)
- Bottomrail - White Oak, Trademark Profile (63x28mm)
Require something similar?
We specialise in made to measure stairs, why not contact us today for a quotation for your new staircase, or use our online design tool to design and price your own staircase.
The stair worked out great, that's my second or third stair purchase for you guys and it seems to be a lot less hassle than getting it made by the local joinery contractors. - PJM Joinery & Building
Similar Case Studies
Design & build yourstaircase online and get it delivered to your door!View All Case Studies
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.