Get inspiration and ideas for your new staircase by browsing through some of our previous projects below.
Case Studies - White Painted Cut String Staircase with white oak handrail & caps
Pine Cut String Staircase
This cut string staircase was supplied by us to a property in the Peak District.
It features a traditional cut string on the right hand side as you go up the stairs.
With a traditional cut string staircase like this, generally, you would only have “cut string” on the outside (visible) string, then the wall string is just a standard string, this is simpler to manufacture and easier to fit.
The cut string on this staircase is traditional in the sense the treads overhang both the riser & the string by 20mm and have a traditional radius applied to each tread. When using spindles it’s necessary to have this overhang, because if the posts are centrally placed on the string, the spindles require this overhang to sit onto.
With a cut string staircase with spindles, you need one 900mm spindles and one 1100mm spindle per tread and each spindle is attached to the tread using dowels.
This staircase is also slightly unusual as it features a post that is positioned one tread down, this was at the customer's request.
This cut string staircase also features a traditional signature handrail and pyramid caps in white oak.
The rest of the stairs are Pine (redwood), this was painted white by the customer.
- Staircase Type; Standard Construction
- Tread Profile; Standard - 20mm overhang rounded profile
- String (Left Hand); Pine, Redwood (32x230mm)
- String (Right Hand); Pine, Redwood (32x330mm)
- Treads; Pine, Redwood (22mm)
- Risers; Pine, Redwood (18mm)
- Post Style; Chamfered
- Post Material; Pine, Redwood (90x90mm)
- Post Cap Style; Pyramid Caps
- Post Cap Material; White Oak (90x90mm)
- Infill Type; Spindles (41x41mm)
- Spindle Material; Pine, Redwood
- Spindle Style; Stop Chamfered
- Handrail Material; White Oak
- Handrail Style; Signature Profile (67x45mm)
- Bottomrail Material; Pine, Redwood
- Bottomrail Style; Trademark Profile, (63x28mm)
Require something similar?
We specialise in made to measure stairs, why not contact us today for a quotation for your new staircase, or use our online design tool to design and price your own staircase.
Very pleased with how the delivery and installation went. Stairs look absolutely perfect. - Mr Baraona
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.