Case Studies - Partially Open Oak Staircase with Fusion Mk1 Balusters
This made to measure white oak staircase was manufactured to the customers specification with the top section mini open riser to meet building regulations and the bottom section closed riser, with matching 18mm thick oak risers to ensure everything looked the same.
Having the top section open meant light came through to their downstairs room while having the bottom section closed meant they were able to use the underneath for storage.
The customer wanted brushed nickel balusters so we have used Richard Burbidges MK1 Fusion balusters which screw individually onto the supplied no groove handrail and bottomrail.
The customer finished this oak staircase by putting on three coats of Polyx Osmo Oil.
- Strings - White Oak (220x38mm)
- Treads - White Oak (32mm)
- Risers 1 to 2 - White Oak veneered Ply (12mm)
- Risers 3 to 6 - White Oak (18mm)
- Risers 7 to 13 - White Oak Mini Open (18mm)
- Posts - White Oak, Square (90x90mm)
- Post Tops - Oak, Flat Caps
- Spindles - Richard Burbidge, Fusion Mk1 Brushed Nickel
- Handrail - White Oak, 56x56mm HDR profile, No Groove
- Bottomrail - White Oak, 56x28mm square profile
Require something similar?
We're very happy with our new staircase, the process was perfect from start to finish. We were advised on the best layout, finish and materials and delivery was prompt and the delivery driver very friendly. - Pete Osborne
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.