Case Studies - Painted kite winder staircase with a carpet runner.
Painting a standard specification staircase in a striking colour scheme is a great way to create an attractive staircase.
This staircase features stop chamfered posts and spindles giving it a modern look.
It also features a kite winder to save space, keeping the footprint fairly compact, whilst keeping the stairs at a good width.
The customer painted the treads and risers and put a carpet runner up the stairs, which gives them a traditional feel. They’ve also specified 30mm MDF treads as opposed to the standard 22mm MDF treads normally used which accentuates the effect of the carpet runner on the stairs.
Black painted handrail and post caps finishes this staircase off beautifully.
- Strings - Pine, Redwood (230x32mm)
- Treads - MDF (30mm)
- Risers - Plywood (9mm)
- Posts - Pine, Stop Chamfered (90x90mm)
- Post Tops - Pine, Flat Caps
- Spindles - Pine, Stop Chamfered (41x41mm)
- Handrail - Pine, HDR Profile (59x59mm)
- Bottomrail - Pine, Trademark Profile (63x28mm)
Require something similar?
We’re very pleased. Great product, well made and my husband (who is a carpenter) and fitted the staircase was suitably impressed with the quality, accuracy and way that it went together. Very happy customers – thank you. - Mrs Parkes
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.