Get inspiration and ideas for your new staircase by browsing through some of our previous projects below.
Case Studies - Two oak straight staircases with 200mm embedded panels
Small Embedded Glass Panels:
On most stairs that we supply embedded glass panels, the panels are large (up to 1000mm in width), and the gap is a consistent 20mm between them.
However, on this staircase, the panels are a fixed 200mm wide, and the gap between the panels varies on each run.
Two interconnecting staircases:
When there are two staircases, one above the other, connecting them using a balustrade is normal.
As seen in the 3D and plan drawings, this staircase is connected by a length of embedded glass balustrade to match the stairs.
Carpeted Oak Staircase:
If an oak stair is to be carpeted, it doesn't make sense to supply the treads and risers oak, given the cost saving.
As such, this staircase features MDF treads and plywood risers, ideally suited to carpeting.
- Staircase Type; Standard Construction
- Tread Profile; Full round (standard)
- Tread Overhang; 20mm (standard)
- Stringer Material; Oak (32x230mm)
- Tread Material; MDF (22mm)
- Riser Material; Plywood (9mm)
- Post Style; Square (90mm)
- Post Material; Oak
- Post Cap Style; Pyramid
- Post Cap Material; Oak
- Balustrade Type; Glass Panels
- Glass Style; Embedded, 200mm fixed width
Handrail & Bottomrail:
- Handrail Profile; HDR (59x59mm)
- Handrail Material; Oak
- Bottomrail Profile; Rectangular (56x28mm)
- Bottomrail Material; Oak
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.