Get inspiration and ideas for your new staircase by browsing through some of our previous projects below.
Case Studies - Oak staircase with square components and brushed metal caps
Brushed forge caps:
We offer two styles of metal caps, each in a brushed, mirror or black finish.
This staircase features 'forge' metal caps in a brushed finish; these are one of the more popular options. We can also offer metal balusters. However, this customer has opted for oak 41mm square spindles, an ever-popular choice for staircases.
The strings on this staircase are painted white instead of oak strings to match the rest of the stairs. This is a popular option as, generally, oak strings add the most cost to the stairs over standard specification. The contrast also breaks up the oak.
The treads and risers on this staircase are carpeted, so they were supplied MDF and Plywood.
If the stairs are to be carpeted, this makes sense as it's much cheaper.
The advantage of carpeted treads is that they're less slippy, which makes them better suited to children and pets.
- Staircase Type; Standard Construction
- Tread Profile; Rounded profile (standard)
- Tread Overhang; 20mm (standard)
- Stringer Material; Pine, paint grade (32x230mm)
- Tread Material; MDF (22mm)
- Riser Material; Plywood (9mm)
- Post Style; Square (90mm)
- Post Material; Oak
- Post Style; Forge Metal Cap
- Post Material; Brushed
- Balustrade Type; Spindles (41mm)
- Baluster Style; Square
- Spindle Material; Oak
Handrail & Bottomrail:
- Handrail Profile; HDR (59x59mm)
- Handrail Material; Oak
- Bottomrail Profile; Trademark (63x28mm)
- Bottomrail Material; Oak
I was really nervous about ordering solely from the internet, but TKstairs were helpful. I measured everything myself, following the guide and with a phone call to TKstairs. I couldn’t fault the process; it was excellent from start to finish. Thank you. - Ms Fieldsend
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.