Case Studies - Four kite winder stair with White Oak & Painted White parts.
Designed Around Radiator:
It can be challenging when there's an obstacle to where you want to put your staircase. Ideally, the obstacle should be moved. However, if this can't be done, sometimes, we can design your staircase around it. In the case of this staircase, the customer sent across the dimensions and position of the radiator, and we drew it into our CAD drawings, designing the stairs to fit around it.
Four Kite Winder Box:
We do not recommend using a four-kite winder box. However, in exceptional circumstances, it can be necessary. As this staircase needed to avoid the radiator in the property, using a four-kite winder box allowed us to design the stairs so they did not interfere with the radiator.
Oak & White Painted Stairs:
Painting some components white allows for them to be manufactured in a cheaper material, such as pine. Keeping the cost of the project down.
We recommend that the stairs are 100mm narrower than the floor opening. To allow for adequate space for the posts and handrail, giving you room to get your fingers between the outside of the handrail and the floor opening. However, the customer wanted the stairs to be as wide as possible, so they kept the handrail tight to the opening. We do not recommend this, as it doesn't meet current building regulations.
- Staircase Type; Standard Construction
- Tread Profile; Standard - 20mm overhang rounded profile
- Strings; Pine, Redwood (28x230mm)
- Treads; MDF (22mm)
- Risers; Plywood (9mm)
- Post Style; Full Height, Chamfered
- Post Material; Pine (90x90mm)
- Post Cap Style; Pyramid Cap
- Post Cap Material; White Oak
- Infill Type; Spindles 41x41mm
- Spindle Material; Pine, Redwood
- Spindle Style; Stop Chamfered
- Handrail Material; White Oak
- Handrail Style; HDR Profile (59x59mm)
- Bottomrail Material; White Oak
- Bottomrail Style; Trademark Profile (56x28mm)
Require something similar?
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.