Case Studies - Part Oak 6 kite winder with glass panels held in place with square brushed clamps
Stairs can either have glass embedded into a groove or held in place with glass clamps.
This staircase has the glass held in place using square, brushed glass clamps. However, we offer various options for glass clamps.
Normally you would have a balustrade up the inside, and walls up the outside, however, on this staircase the outside on the first run is exposed so a balustrade is required here to comply with building regulations.
Painted strings & carpeted treads:
The strings on this staircase were supplied in pine and the treads and riser were MDF & Plywood, this reduces the costs significantly, whilst keeping the touch points in oak and glass.
This staircase uses 'signature profile' handrail, which we no longer stock, however, we can generally supply it as a special order.
- Staircase Type; Standard Construction
- Tread Profile; Standard - 20mm overhang, rounded profile
- Stringer Material; Pine, paint grade (32x230mm)
- Tread Material; MDF (22mm)
- Riser Material; Plywood (9mm)
- Post Style; Square (90mm)
- Post Material; Oak
- Post Style; Pyramid Cap
- Post Material; Oak
- Balustrade Type; Glass Panels
- Glass Style; Clamped (D-shape, brushed)
Handrail & Bottomrail:
- Handrail Profile; Signature profile (67x45mm) (special order)
- Handrail Material; Oak
- Bottomrail Profile; Rectangular (56x28mm)
- Bottomrail Material; Oak
Good straightforward company to deal with and stairs fit perfectly into a tight area. - Mr Baird
We Design & Manufacture Staircases
TKstairs is one of the UK’s leading staircase manufacturers, we now manufacture in excess of 100 staircases per week delivering throughout the UK from our state of the art manufacturing facility near Hull.
Popular Staircase Layouts
Straight staircases have no turns in them.
Quarter Turn Staircases:
These have a single turn, turning left or right, which can be either a landing or kite winder.
Half Turn Staircases:
These have two turns, left or right. Using kite winders, landings or a half landing.
For straight stairs, quarter turn stairs (single turn) or half turn staircases (two turns), these can be ordered on our website and are available for fast delivery.
Also known as space saver or loft staircases, these are half the length of a normal staircase but can only be used in certain scenarios.
We also offer other staircase layouts, these include, paddle stairs, S-shape stairs, T-shape stairs or stairs with three or more turns. We also offer stairs suitable for commercial buildings which are wider and made from more substantial materials than domestic staircases.
Styles & Materials
All layouts of staircases can be constructed in different ways which will effect the final finish, these include:
- Open riser construction; this is where the risers are left open with either a timber strip or metal bar built in to comply to regulations.
- Cut string construction; where the sides of the strings are cut away so the treads can be seen, this can either be done in a modern or traditional way.
The materials used on your staircase will have a dramatic effect on how they look, most stairs will use the following materials.
- Pine; all our stairs are manufactured from high quality furniture grade pine, we do not use any whitewood.
- White Oak; we can manufacture all or part(s) of your staircase from premium White Oak, to give that stunning finish.
- Glass; we offer stairs with glass balustrade, either as small panels or large panels, secured with brackets or by embedding with a groove.